View Single Post
Old 11-13-2013, 01:19 AM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I don't remember being able to do that with any of my ADE books. I could be wrong, though, because I mostly use Kindle, and all my ADE books are DeDrm'ed in calibre and I don't actually have ADE or the encrypted books on my hard drive.

Still, looking at the file extension should be easier anyway. But of course Windows makes that difficult, I forgot.

Go linux!
I just tried a couple of library books that are Adobe's ADEPT DRM protected. 7Zip opens the archive and shows the contents. That is pretty much the behaviour you would expect from any program that is epub standard compliant.

As for Windows making it hard to see file extensions? I've never noticed that much difficulty -- show extensions for known file types, apply, apply to folders which I do once when setting up a new computer. Perhaps you were thinking about Linux systems where starting a file or directory name with a period hides it? Ahh... the joys of remembering what dotglob does. Mac OSX makes it even more fun with a hidden attribute and we mustn't forget Gnome's .hidden filelist file.

Pretty much every OS I've used since OS/8 has had it's quirks.

Another issue is that a Kobo .kepub.epub book as downloaded by the Kobo desktop application or directly to the ereader via WiFi does not have a file extension -- the file name is a hexadecimal string with no extension, sample being 5e5eee09-e4e7-45bb-b46e-1c4902fbbe43. Care to guess from that string what the book title/author is?

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 11-13-2013 at 01:30 AM. Reason: spell chequer? I don't need no steenking spell chequer.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote