Thread: Kobo Tweaks
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013, 03:20 PM   #58
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonatus View Post
As to DNSB: The "flash" also remains for some 20 seconds, even with an empty internal bibliotheque. But I suspect that the deleted books will reappear on the next sync.

Besides, I'm still full of sorrow that the tweaks plugin doesn't work on my KT with the home screen manipulations.
I think the time that it takes to scan the books on the uSD card is the reason for the delay so even having no books in the internal storage won't make a difference to the time delay. I did try copying books to the internal storage and they showed up when the carousel came up but I have more books than will fit on the internal storage so find it easier to keep my sideloaded books on the uSD card. That way I can pull the card when doing a factory reset or other modifications instead of having to copy the files back and forth.

I also found that the uSD card has quite a effect on the time it took to display the books stored there. There was a discussion together with some test results for various brands -- generally, SanDisk cards came up with the best results on small reads/writes. The results were very surprising with the speeds on 4K blocks varying wildly. On my laptop using it's internal SD card reader, a SanDisk 4GB Class 4 card managed 1.6MB/S using the Crystal DiskMark small block write while a Patriot 16GB Class 10 card managed a pathetic 0.20MB/S (or 200KB/S) result. The read performance doesn't vary as widely but is still very noticeable and seems to have little relation to the large block speed.

Sample from the discussion from a while back:

For your edification, here are some CrystalDiskMark results from 2 sucky cards and the good Sandisk.

__Test_______________Sandisk 8G Class 2___Patriot 8G Class 10____Kingston Class4 4Gig
Sequential Read :__________10.871 MB/s________20.036 MB/s___________18.700 MB/s
Sequential Write :__________6.659 MB/s________13.660 MB/s____________4.277 MB/s
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) :__3.077 MB/s_________3.444 MB/s____________2.088 MB/s
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) :__1.791 MB/s________0.038 MB/s_____________0.016 MB/s

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 03-15-2013 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Typos, what else is old.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote