View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 11:57 AM   #44
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSacredSoul View Post
How do you find the Amazon case? I've read it adds substantial weight to the device but is it comfortable enough for one handed reading, for a few hours?
The official cover is great. Not sure about it beeing 100% genuine leather - Amazon says natural leather. I am not a layer, but wording it natural leaves wiggle room, imo. Also the pattern on the surface is too regular to be real. Nothing new there, have not seen a genuine leather cover anywhere. It is probably a good thing as the outer layer of fake leather is easier to clean and take care of than real leather.

One thing that Amazon did right with it is the feel and look. The color of the cover if you get non-black (the black one too) matches from the leather part to the rubbery plastic part. Yes it is heavy, especially comparing it side by side with a aftermarket cover (mine is a coffee colored aftermarket with a magnetic clasp, my wifes a royal purple Amazon) - even more so without Kindle inside. The padding behind the leather feels soft and flexible on the front and very stiff and hard on the back. If picking it up, you instantly know which side is up and which is down. The cover is self-sufficient - it completely closes all the way around without gaps (other than the cutout for the power button and usb port). So even without a PW in it, it retains its shape. On the other hand my aftermarket case does not close correctly if device-free, the back bends and needs the PW to become sturdy. My cover also shows part of the Kindle on the top, bottom, and right side when closed - not just the usbport and button. On the Amazon cover the magnet that keeps it shut (right where the metal "Kindle" engraved plate of the top cover ) is completely embedded and invisible. Side by side it becomes immediately clear that the Amazon cover is of higher build quality and meant to protect rather than just look good.

As for beeing comfortable to hold one-handed, I hear it is. My wife is on it all day long and part of the night while sleep does not want to come. If it wasn't easy to hold, than she wouldn't be on it so much. Much better than a book when it comes to reading one-handed. Before we got her first the Touch and a few weeks later our Paperwhites, she would not read. The last paper-books she bought she never read more than the first four pages. Pbooks are simply too awkward and heavy to hold and keep open for her. That was the one and only reason she didn't read before. In comes the Kindle, and now you can't get her away from it. That should tell you enough of how comfortable it is to hold one-handed. Sometimes she uses the other hand to turn pages, but mostly it is one-handed.

The cover is also very good to fold back and stick a finger in it holding it shut with the others (and than simply use the thumb for "flipping" pages). The price might seem a bit on the expensive side, but I won't hesitate recommending it. If you look for a well designed very solid build cover with a lot of attention to detail, then the Amazon cover is for you. Stick the PW in it, and it shows how they are made for each other.

DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote