View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 01:35 AM   #23
guma
Connoisseur
guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
I wouldn't. There is more value in a 'real book' than in a drm-locked e-book (in my personal opinion). I would pay close to a physical book cost if the SELLER sold it pre-de-DRMED.

I get more of a sense of ownership with the physical book because I get total jurisdiction over what happens to it released into my hands.

I often see hardcover books that are cheaper than some e-books. People can justify the costs all they want with fancy wording, but I never will be duped.
Yes ... an ebook purchase buys you only a fairly limited license to personally use a book (you are even not allowed to remove DRM for strictly personal use on multiple devices) whereas you own a physical book once you bought it and can gift or resell it if you want to.
From the perspective of 'ownership' a purchased ebook is thus more or less equivalent to a physical book loaned from a library.
I assume few people would pay more than the purchase price to loan a physical book.

I also don't buy the argument that distribution and production costs for ebooks are not significantly cheaper that for physical books.
guma is offline   Reply With Quote