View Single Post
Old 07-12-2016, 06:03 PM   #40
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitchly View Post
Sounds like fun. I read these some years ago but couldn't bring myself to finish the last one or two; I didn't want it to end. I'll at least try to give them a re-skim to refresh my memory.

The friend who got me into these had great advice: Just let all the nautical details wash over you. Don't let them bog you down. Worked a charm for me.
Hello, Twitchly!

As an aside, Twitchly is the friend who forced encouraged me to read these books. And I'm forever grateful! I can also attest to the excellence of her friend's advice, which she passed along to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElspethB View Post
I would encourage anyone who is interested in the series but having difficulty in getting hooked on reading M&C to look into audiobook options. While I prefer Vance, I know there are many ardent fans of Tull. There are a few other readers out there as well (Chichester, Jerom, Piggot-Smith). You probably can't go wrong with any audio version.
I liked M&C when I read it, but listening to the second book, Post Captain, was better still. It was my very first audiobook and I haven't looked back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
I was about to comment (but thought I ought to read a bit further first) that I like thrillers, and hate Dickens for being too wordy with nothing happening. (Ditto to Jane Eyre, etc). I think that may be what's happening with Master and Commander. it's more wordy and slow.
In the end, we like what we like. I'm sorry if O'Brian hasn't managed to seduce you, but kudos to you for giving it a try.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote