View Single Post
Old 04-05-2014, 02:44 PM   #23734
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
No, she belongs to me, well the dog might have an opinion on that. The breeder was trying to keep her options open with the possibility of bringing an outside Male in. As a former dog breeder, I can appreciate options.besides, the possibility of being left with a5 to 10k kitten as a fee isn't hard to swallow. I do think though that we need to sort this this calendar year. It's kind of like childbirth. You forget how horrible it is until you're in the moment.

Edit due to phone issues... The forgetting of the agony of childbirth and cats in heat and the resultant cuteness of humans and kittens is probably the only reason both species have not died out
Your female is an F1? Really?

Don't get me wrong, love 'em, they're gorgeous, but when I look at those price tags (and all the wrangling that has to occur with the servals to keep the "breed" going as it is), I think to myself..."It's a cat, not a car." ;-)

Plus, I always have real concerns when a breed (of cats, horses, dogs, pot-bellied pigs, etc.) becomes the "fad du jour." This must worry you, too, I'm sure. I think that all the wrong people (not talking about you, obviously) end up with them, whether it's celebutwits with dogs in their purses or spoiled rockstars that dump their pets in Germany and forget about them, or that poor potbellied pig that had to be rescued from I-forget-which "rap star" in NY (not to mention the tiger). Just because someone can write a $20K check doesn't mean that they should necessarily be the "right" person for a particular animal,and we both know that far too many breeders only see the checks, not the future "home" of the kitten/puppy/foal/piglet, etc.

I was involved in a breed of horses that became "the hot new thing," and I bailed out of it for that reason. We had people who barely knew the nose from the tail entering the breed, all those women whose parents never got them that pony when they were 5, and we started to end up with a lot of colts that should have been gelded but never were (so that their star-struck owners could "stand a stallion,") badly trained and very large animals that were raised by people who didn't know the first thing about training foals...it was fairly disastrous for the breed, and of course, the thing that suffers when that happens is that the animals end up being put down or (in the case of horses, sold for meat), or if they are very lucky, a rescue organization takes them, but...well. When a more-than-1200lb. horse is badly trained and unreliable, there's only one future for that animal, and it isn't pretty.

And I concur:

Quote:
The forgetting of the agony of childbirth and cats in heat and the resultant cuteness of humans and kittens is probably the only reason both species have not died out
100%. :-)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote