View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013, 11:46 AM   #2189
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool A response...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSun View Post
I tried to get into this series - I gave it two-and-a-bit books, but found the writing style and characterisations juvenile (and that's saying something, as I'm a YA addict!). I've been told to stick with it, because it becomes brilliant around book seven, and that even die-hard fans recognise that it leaves a lot to be desired up until book seven - so, should I just skip the books between two and seven and go straight to where this series "gets good"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Sure . . . . if you want to have no idea who is who and what is what.
My first reaction to SouthernSun's post was to ignore her because she was trolling. But being the curious person that I am, I found and read her other posts since her recent arrival on MobileReads. There was no trolling going on in any of these posts. Then eschwartz posted his snarky reply to SouthernSun and I decided that I needed to comment. I'll counter with this:

All fourteen of the Dresden Files novels that I've read have been quite able to stand on their own without any real need to lean on any previous novel. However, since there is an overall story arc to the series reading a single novel does necessarily mean that there are nuances that a reader misses out on. In my opinion this doesn't detract from the readibility of the individual novel.

My thoughts as concerning SouthernSun's question are:

Sure, you could do that, but only you can decide if it's worth the effort to do so. If it were me, I'd simply give up on the series in question as I read for my personal enjoyment and if I'm not enjoying what I'm reading I would simply stop reading it and try reading something else. After all there's a whole lot of material to choose from.

Enjoy!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote