View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 07:23 PM   #28
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
Just a side note, the group that wrote that particular survey has little respect for international treaties or the UN.
Yea, but it is a little surprising all the non-Republicans who apparently have little regard for international law.

Actually, the length of protection in the abortive GOP plan only needs to be changed a little to be Berne-compliant for movies. Berne protects them for 50 years after first showing, just four years longer than the withdrawn plan. And Berne protects photos for just 25 years. Music, I don't know -- can anyone interpret the music language here:
http://www.wipo.int/treaties/en/ip/b...ocs_wo001.html

Books of course are the clearest example where the withdrawn plan massively violated Berne in terms of copyright length.

I think that the biggest proposed Berne violation, and biggest departure from Republican party principles, was the proposed copyright renewal fees AKA new taxes. Or am I wrong -- does Berne allow renewal fees?

The GOP is in panic over losing votes. And the GOP is hardly Hollywood-friendly. I think there a real possibility of this trial balloon coming back, but without the fees.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 11-19-2012 at 08:25 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote