View Single Post
Old 07-28-2011, 07:12 AM   #6
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
The Bezel size makes it easy to hold. No bezel? WTF do you hold onto then? Your fingers would cover the screen.

And the reason I bought the Nook Touch was for the pageturn buttons - otherwise I would have went with the new Kobo. Pageturn buttons are a necessity in my world for one-handed reading, laying sideways on a couch reading, reading while kid is in one arm, etc.

I could never read on a device as small as an ipod. Maybe if you are a slow reader...it's not like you can fit nearly enough words on a device that small.

Quote:
I have a 380 MB cook book in PDF format. The largest PDF I have ever come across was 699 MB. I think it was a National Geographic magazine with high quality photographs, which was probably meant to fit on a CD.
E-ink readers aren't really intended for reading pdfs - they suck at it, frankly. Epub or mobi files are measured in K most of the time, not MB.

Quote:
Absolutely no buttons, no card slots, docking slots, none of the silliness.
No thank you. I like my SD card slots and buttons, thanks. Expandability is never a con.

Quote:
At most it can have a tactile sensor that would wake it up, tho it could also be done by shaking the device, double taping the screen after it (automatically) goes to sleep, etc.
And how well does that work when you are carrying it around in your pocket? The current method works pretty much like a smartphone, which works great. This is not an improvement, but only a way to ensure the device is constantly being woken up (and battery life sucked down).

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 07-28-2011 at 07:16 AM.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote