View Single Post
Old 02-17-2011, 10:03 AM   #50
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
I have shared data and downloaded files, before there was a commonly available Internet back when there were dial-up Bulletinboards. I was an early member of Compuserve.

Windows is not now, nor ever been, anything like the problem you Penguin lovers make it out to be.
My credentials are equally good, and I have the sweatshirt to prove it (quite literally: it's a TAPCIS sweatshirt from my time as a tester). I use any operating system that looks good (at the moment that's 98 on an elderly laptop, two XP installs on desktops, and a strange distro of Xandros Linux on the netbook; there are several others in the house, too). While I agree that Windows isn't the problem, per se, and clueless lusers are the real problem, the Windows approach has been to dumb down the computer rather than smartening up the user, which leads to the proliferation of said clueless lusers and PEBKAC errors. It's possible to use Windows safely, and it's possible to use Linux unsafely; however, doing either requires acting deliberately contrary to their default behavior.

So, while the problem may indeed lie with the people who use it, the operating system can certainly make that problem either worse or better for the ordinary user. And, sadly, Windows does. They may be smug, but the "Penguin lovers" are also right.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote