Thread: Clara HD Do you prefer EPUB or KEPUB?
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2018, 07:28 AM   #54
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
But, I don't think I have seen this with any of the installed fonts. Maybe I'm just not using the right settings. If I had, I would have reported it promptly to Kobo. As it is, until something demonstrates it is something else, I will continue to assume it is the font definition.
I think you've said in the past that you don't patch. I suspect this is probably why you don't see the problem with the built-in fonts. I wouldn't be surprised if this is why Kobo have set their default minimum line spacing as large as they have. I think it's 1.0 (1.0 whats, I don't know). The minimum after patching is 0.75 (although this is user-configurable).

There are definitely 'toxic combinations' of font-family/font-size/line-height. For example, I was able to recreate haydnfan's massive whitespace at the bottom of many pages (even in a kepub), by adjusting font-size for Avenir at minimum (patched) line spacing. It's also quite easy to get cut-off last lines with Georgia plus very small line spacing.

If you patch line spacing, to get a 'good' result, you just need to be a bit flexible with your settings.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote