View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 11:41 AM   #32
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ned0me View Post
That bit is such brain-dead drivel that I completely ignored it. Talking about 'decades' in anything business-related pretty much translates to 'the foreseeable future' or 'a few years'. A couple of poor business decisions by senior management, one rogue person in the finance department, a large mishap that attracts the ire of a regulator - the ways of destroying a multi-billion dollar business are legion, and that's assuming the whole product category doesn't become replaced by something else.
It could happen to Apple or to Samsung just like it happened to Motorola, DEC, Sun or any number of other fallen stars that thought they were bullet proof.
But you didn't ignore it, you implied support for the author's original statement, then you asked who was in a stronger position than Apple. So I replied with my thoughts. Now you say it doesn't matter at all and "decades" really means "a few years". I'm thinking further discussion with you will be pointless.

For others that may still have some interest in this tangent, I'll clarify my reasoning. When Samsung produces a dud, and they frequently have (I'm not a Samsung fan), they not only have several other similar models to prop them up, they also have a huge variety of other products to keep them strong. If Apple produces a dud iPhone or iPad, they risk their entire mobile business collasping. Samsung is far from bulletproof, but still, they are simply not nearly as vulnerable as Apple, again, in my opinion. The diversity of their product offerings certainly makes a difference.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote