View Single Post
Old 08-11-2011, 11:29 PM   #42
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx, Windows7, Galaxy A5
Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
I noticed early on that there was a fine line (somewhere) between keeping and maintaining additional information (such as fixup history and rights information) and just having books for reading purposes. Where should I draw the line? Maintaining a lot of tracking info for a lot of books is time consuming. I've realized there has to be some cost/benefit ratio, but I haven't figured out where that is for me yet.
But how do you decide where to draw that line?
I track source mostly because when, for example, source x books need constant 'improving', I choose rather source y.

Maintaining a lot of tracking info for a lot of books is time consuming. - Yes, but I enter it only once. That's why I decided to go slow - convert, read, add one-by-one and in the process learn what and where. After all, if I add a book that does not fit into existing columns/categories, I see what needs to be changed or added and it's easier to change 50 than 500 entries. Imagine searching through hundreds of books if you have decided to create subgenre! If I decide to delete (column, genre), then bulk is no problem.
It will probably take years just to learn what information I want and how to present it (searchable, sortable, column, comment...)