View Single Post
Old 01-14-2009, 11:18 AM   #7
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I'm not at home now and cannot check it, but did you compare it with my mobipocket version? I could give the source HTML of it.
I did, and meant to mention that. They're very close. The only differences I noticed:
  • oeb2mobi is converting the small-caps to faux small-caps, so those are preserved (formatting-wise) in the Mobi version.
  • Some of the vertical spacing is a bit different. I meant to check your in-Mobi HTML -- are you using the page-size-relative '%' units? Right now oeb2mobi is translating everything into 'em's based on a particular renderer profile. Fixing that will be a fairly large change to how I do basic CSS value handling, so I'm holding off on it for a later release.
  • oeb2mobi places OPF //spine/itemref[@linear="no"] items at the end of the book and separated by "uncrossable" boundaries. So some things like the TOC and list of illustrations are removed from the linear reading order of the main text.

Other than that, the books look very much alike. The main difference is under the hood in the markup content itself. Because Mobipocket markup is so limited, I simplified the task of conversion by treating it as a formatting-only language. No markup semantics or block nesting are preserved -- everything is basically converted into a sequence of <p/> tags containing <font/> tags.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote