View Single Post
Old 01-13-2011, 06:49 PM   #11
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

beachwanderer:

thanks for the heads-up on reading Amazon and mobipocket content being restricted to only the LCD side. I actually happened across that in a large thread over on the Edge site discussing what folks would like to see in the next generation Edge. So thanks for reminding me of that issue.

If I do get an Edge I don't have a problem format shifting so I can read on the EPD side of the device. Still it's a hidden gotcha on the device.

Otherwise.....
I am now leaning very strongly to the Adam over any of the other devices. I spent an hour yesterday with the NookCOLOR and the iPad as well as the regular Nook and current Sony readers at our Walmart. One thing I was surprised by is the weight of the NookCOLOR. With all the complaints about device weight I don't know why I haven't read more complaints about that device. It felt quite unwieldy in my hands. I suspect it's do to what appears to be an odd aspect ratio on the device as well as display but that thing felt heavy. I did like the handling of the iPad, however the glossy screen is a non-starter for me. Still under good conditions that screen is GREAT. Nice device but would never even add it to the discussion.

One thing I did when playing with the iPad was to get more than a passing look at how well the 9.7" screen devices would work for my now 50-mumble eyes. And I feel if adjusted properly I could make it work. But then again at the price point on the 9.7" devices does one really want to be forced to that particular compromise? Of all the aspects of a reader, dedicated or not, the display is the single most important. There is a part of me that really wants an 11"-12" screen. Still given the increasing importance I get something soon it is nice to know that after spending a bit of time with one I could manage as long as I can adjust font size.

Of course if Pocketbook would come out with a 903 in color...the Adam would have a very solid challenger even if both are still very new devices. I just like the the people at Pocketbook and also really like the way Notion Ink handled getting the device right rather than getting the device right now. It's one area I worry Pocketbook has veered away from that very idea. Many companies as they grow can be forced by investors to get something out before it's ready, often even a year before it should really have been released.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote