View Single Post
Old 10-20-2007, 03:49 PM   #6
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
A translation is considered a work on its own and allowed a new copyright. An example would be a new translation of Homer. Being over 2,000 years old the original has long been in the public domain. But languages keep evolving over time so new translations are needed. If someone was to do a translation today they would be entitled to copyright protection on their translated work. I encountered a like situation with a play by Voltaire that had a fantastic English translation protected by a CC declaration that prohibited me from posting a version in any other form without their permission. I wrote them and I am still waiting for a response.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote