View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 02:40 PM   #75
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
I had a stupendously good teaching-award-winning Shakespeare professor, in a small seminar, and still don't like Shakespeare.

Yep. I read novels hidden under the desk while teachers lectured.
*raises hand* Guilty as charged. I used to do this a lot, and read through several Dick Francis mysteries during what was ostensibly a monthlong study of The Grapes of Wrath. I have since bought a copy of the book in case I should ever feel the desire to properly read it.

I consider myself now a good reader but that was something that developed over time, and largely independent of classes before university. I really don't think I had the intellectual maturity when I was a teenager to appreciate what was put in front of me. Perhaps this is true of others.

I had a mix of good and bad teachers. All of them put in the effort but some people are just more gifted at teaching. The best teacher I had used films of Shakespeare, with subtitles on, to help acclimate us with the language and plots. We also acted out parts as we read through the plays.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote