View Single Post
Old 06-25-2010, 12:00 AM   #11
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidspitzer View Post
I Don't think you'll see the Skiff come to market - my opinion is that large format e-ink reader has lost its market window. (Most consumers) will not buy a 9 or 10 inch e-ink device when they can have an ipad or something similar for the same price point.

I think the market will split into ultra low end value eink readers (value priced not feature poor) and Ipad type devices that are multifunction including the 2 or 3 high efficiency daylight readable color screen technologies coming out. I would love to see Amazon come out with a sub $100 5 inch eink device - I think that would compliment the $3,000,000 + ipad owners that are out there now.

I know we all love the gadgets here, but the key is what will sell the most books - driving down the price of the reader will continue to help mainstream ebooks. My yardstick for general acceptance is when people finally stop asking me "hey, how do you like that thing?"

I have all my law books on my ipad now and the reading experience is sublime compared to reading PDF's on my Kindle DX. The speed, annotation, zooming and color make for a very nice user experience. I do like the e-ink screen for outdoor reading but to be quite honest 95% of my reading is done indoors (especially in summer - I live in Phoenix AZ)

I think you're right the Skiff and the Alex are two high end devices that are a victim of timing..
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote