View Single Post
Old 11-24-2010, 09:36 AM   #1
cselt
cselt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Hanvon n516 with OpenInkpot
ePub / eBook Hackdays - Mon/Tue 13-14 Dec, Bristol, UK

Hi everyone - I've been reading this site for years (it's where I found out about OpenInkpot and Calibre!) and I finally joined up. I ought to begin by saying thanks for all the excellent advice that I've found on these forums in the past. But I also want to let people know about an event that colleagues of mine are running in the UK in mid-December. I've put the event announcement text below. If there is a relevant section of the forum to which this sort of event should be posted, please help a newbie out and let me know?

- Emma

ePub / eBook Hackdays - Mon/Tue 13-14 Dec, Bristol, UK

A free* two day DevCSI hackday organised in conjunction with the JISC funded Application Profiles Support Project. The event hopes to bring together software developers, project managers and users particularly (though not exclusively) in Higher Education who share an interest in eBooks and particularly the open ePub standard for ebooks. Developers and users rarely have opportunities to experiment in a focussed way in hacking systems, experimenting with standards, and exploring current ways of doing things and how they could be improved. If this is you, would you like to explore the possibility of doing some innovative things using the standard or the various open source tools available? For more information, please visit:

http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/events/devcsi...ays/index.html

We are also delighted to announce that Kovid Goyal, the principal creator of Calibre (a very widely used suite of open source software for the management of ebooks with over 2 million downloads) will be the main speaker and one of the main facilitators for the event. We also hope that Mikhail Gusarov of OpenInkpot, which is a free and open-source Linux distribution for eBook reading devices, will be involved as a speaker and facilitator. We have left space in the programme for plenty of lightning talks by other speakers.

Places are limited, so book early, as we anticipate a lot of demand for this pre-Christmas hack event!

Just bring a laptop, an ebook reader (if you have one) and lots of ideas and enthusiasm! Before the event we want you to discuss ideas, form teams etc, using the newly created mailing list http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/EPUB-EBOOKS (epub-ebooks@jiscmail.ac.uk). We will be posting messages on there in the next few days to start discussions going.

*Please note this is a payable event for delegates in the commercial sector.
cselt is offline   Reply With Quote