View Single Post
Old 04-17-2015, 01:13 AM   #10
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmering View Post
You correctly describe the scenario that is no doubt behind the issue I am seeing:

Indeed, there are 14 (say) xhtml files that make up the book content.
I have listed all 14 of them in the spine to determine the correct play order
I have listed in the TOC.NCX only the 10 or 11 of them I want to appear in the TOC.

There is nothing fancy with subchapters/images etc. I just don't especially need TOC links to a copyright page, a page with a list of other books by the author, things like that. Irrelevant to the TOC, but still belong in the book. I would prefer them not to appear in the TOC. That is my ideal scenario.

I now understand that the Kobo spec requires that the NCX must include every entry from the spine. (is this different from "standard" epub spec? I mean files built like this validate fine.)

Are you suggesting that it is OK to remove items from the spine so that they will not be force-added to the TOC? This seems very counterintuitive. How will they then appear in the right place in the book?
It would be simpler to just use a fully-fleshed out NCX--as the ever-helpful folks at Nook and Kobo aren't going to allow you to do without one--and simply put (wait for Wolfie to start screaming) a toc.html file in, for the desired graphic effect of not displaying everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You don't need every XML file to be in the ToC. But as for things like the copyright, list of books, and things like that, yes, they should be in the ToC.
Wolfie, me darlin', you know that that is solely opinion, sweetie. I think he's asking about technical specs, rather than our input on what we think he ought/oughtn't do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmorningjulie View Post
Shimmering - I had this EXACT same situation this week with Nook and Kobo and was banging my head against the wall because the client kept saying there was a ToC problem in the epub. We are skipping the previewer step now, as you recommended, but it is a bit nerve-wreaking to post to a new distributor and hit publish without being able to see a preview on their device. But is there any other way? Any updates on this issue?
Thanks SO MUCH for mentioning that this worked for you!!
We keep all major devices in-house, for this precise purpose. Nooks, iBooks on iPad, Kobos, Kindles of myriad sizes and shapes, etc. Was your client updating the file in any way? We had an experienced publisher who endeavored to make "just 3 little text edits" at Nook this past week and I had to chide her, for even without this issue, the moment you allow NookPress to do anything--replace a cover, fix one typo--ANYTHING--it will corrupt the ePUB, replacing your own CSS with their "revised" version.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote