View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012, 08:10 AM   #4
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
*can connect to*. Excuse my typo. It's pretty obvious though
Ah, makes sense. But in that case yes - Even coffee machines comes standard with Wifi these days!

Quote:
I just want general info. What's a mid-range processor, what's top of the range, etc?
You can't really make that comparison, because of the different ways the processors are made. For instance, the iPhone 5 chips has two cores at 1,2 Ghz, while the Galaxy S III phone has a quad core 1,5 (1,6?) Ghz. You would assume that the Galaxy S III chip is faster, but the iPhone actually has the faster chip of the two. Also, you would almost never need a quad core chip anyway, so it is really just a waste.

Quote:
If you look at RAM on a windows laptop (90%+ of the market), you'll get away with 2 gig, maybe, but these days you need at least 4 gigs and 6-8 gigs is best.
My iPad2 is excellent with 512 MB RAM, but you can get up to 2 GB these days.

Quote:
It's that kind of general information I'm looking for. If you absolutely need a *profile* then I'll say non-power user who wants a tablet with some future-proofing. Wants to play basic games (dancing crows or whatever), word-processing, browsing, nothing special, but I don't want it to crawl when I open two windows.

Regarding storage, again, a *general* profile. I don't need to store huge amounts of data, but I will want to install some apps like word-processing apps, music playing. I won't need to store movies, but I do want the ability to install a few programs and not have to worry about running out of memory. It will be used by more than one user, so space is importantish.

Basically, I'm looking for an everyman profile. Neither super-powerful nor bargain-basement. Mid-range. Thanks.
In that case I would recommend the iPad3, since it has by far the largest selection of games, both casual and AAA quality. It is certainly future proof, and has one of the strongest GPU's on the market currently. iOS is also general perceived as being a very smooth, so you won't be waiting for windows to open, especially coupled with its efficient memory handling.

Most users would be fine with 16GB space, but if you think you are demanding, get 32GB. Get 64GB if you have movies.

It also has the best screen on the market, so you'll be future proof there too.

But you should really just play with an iPad, and Windows and Android pads, and see what you like the most. The differences really aren't that big when it comes to the hardware, if you just pick current generation models, so the major picking point should be on what you feel comfortable with (And software library of course).
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote