View Single Post
Old 05-04-2021, 10:10 AM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by morty92222 View Post
So, I am using <q> and </q> to create « and ».

However, when I convert the epub to KFX, these tags allow for line-breaks before and after themselves sparingly. I attached a picture.
I don't know why, but Amazon's conversion to KFX inserts a zero width space before and after the quote marks generated by the <q> element, which allows a line break there. To avoid that use the left double quotation mark and right double quotation mark Unicode characters instead of <q>.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morty92222 View Post
Finally, why does Kindle leaves so much space at the bottom. It is not always present. But I can't determine based on what it leaves space or start the new paragraph. The only thing I could think of is that if the following paragraph less than 2 lines, it does not start it on the previous page as not to leave one line by itself on the following page.
That is done by default in KFX to avoid widows and orphans, which are single lines at the top or bottom of a page. You can disable that by setting the widows:1 and orphans:1 properties in CSS. (More information in this thread.)
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote