View Single Post
Old 03-24-2018, 09:31 AM   #18
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Laptop
I've been very happy with my system and will keep doing it that way. I've never had a problem when converting files more than once, so I will not be making any changes and will continue to convert all files after modifying all of them. Many of my settings in the Styling and Transform sections will fix many things, without having to manually do a lot of editing.

In Common Options/Look & Feel, I have checked: Subset all embedded fonts, Expand CSS, and embed the Charis SIL font (which I love, so there's no reason to find any other font). In Styling, I have the Fonts box checked at the bottom. I have many extra CSS entries in Styling and many rules in Transform Styles. If anyone wants to see the lists of those entries, let me know. Those entries have saved me tons of time since I added them.

In Page Setup, I have 30pt for left and right margins. (This is a must, because I can't stand it when the text is almost flush with the side margins.)

In Modify, I have all boxes checked, EXCEPT for the following:

Remove OS artifact files, De-indent, Add unmanifested files to manifest, remove unmanifested files from ePub, Remove margins from Adobe .xpgt files, Remove Adobe resource DRM meta tags, Flatten TOC, Encode HTML in UTF-8, Modify @page and body margin styles, Append extra CSS, Remove inline javascript and files, Add/replace metadata jacket, Remove existing cover, insert or replace cover, and Remove non dc: metadata elements.

I just wish the Remove page-map.xml feature in Modify actually worked all the time. That's one thing I have to constantly watch for, because if there's a page-map.xml file in the ePub, there is usually a problem with the page-numbering in ADE. And, once in a while, Check Book will find codes related to .xpgt files in the ePub that I have to have automatically fixed, so that feature in Modify doesn't work all the time, either.

Another thing that happens once in a while is that my extra CSS for the class "calibre" doesn't always add text-align: justify;, and my extra CSS for the class "body" doesn't always change the left and right margins to zero, so I'll have to manually edit them when that happens:

.calibre {
margin-top: 0;
margin-bottom: 0;
line-height: 1.2;
text-align: justify;
}
body {
margin-left: 0;
margin-right: 0;
}
.body {
margin-left: 0;
margin-right: 0;
}

Everyone has their own way of doing things, and everyone has their own opinions. I spent a lot of time perfecting my system, and it's about as perfect as it can be (except for the few things I still have to manually edit, mainly due to publishers' incompetent methods of coding). But I will read through your last post a few times to see if I can find anything I want to change. Thanks.
deback is offline   Reply With Quote