View Single Post
Old 01-18-2018, 04:21 PM   #44
MaxLV
Connoisseur
MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Sony PRS650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Ditto.

Now I have stopped reading a couple of books where animals were treated cruelly. Of course I know that people historically did much worse things than those described, but I just could not read further. Violence against adult humans in fiction doesn't bother me so much, except in case of children or old people, or especially graphic scenes.

You can find violent scenes far more often in books by contemporary authors, of course.
So would you (have you) continued reading books like say Charles Dickens Oliver Twist, Little Dorrit, Nicholas Nickleby, etc...

One of my favorite authors is Nevil Shute, when reading a lot of his books, his racism, class-ism, and sexism is often a key element of the stories. But this doesn't stop me reading the books at all.

A classic example are the Earths Children series by Jean M. Auel, which are written as though people (women in particular) lived in a 20th century matriarchal/feminist society... That idea (in the stories) is laughable and unprovable that stone age humans had such a 'matriarchal/feminist' social structure.

But that doesn't stop me reading the books in this series, as they were written for a 20th century audience.

To stop reading books because of these thinks is little better than the attitudes such as portrayed in books like Fahrenheit 451, and the rewriting of history as in 1984...
MaxLV is offline   Reply With Quote