View Single Post
Old 01-18-2018, 10:27 AM   #40
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
There is no either/or, here. People are perfectly capable of understanding that "that's just the way it was back then" and being appalled by the sexism/racism encountered in older works of fiction all at the same time (though as others have pointed out - there was no time in history when sexism and/or racism was entirely unopposed by people of conscience).

For myself, it all boils down to how said -ism manifests as to whether or not it will trip me up (or even cause me to abandon a work). Any work of fiction that glorifies it (or attempts to justify it) is right out--I don't care when it was written. Everything else is negotiable (in historical fiction). I have no problem, for instance, with it being used as a mechanism for conflict, or for vilification (depending on how graphic/gratuitous), but if overplayed, I'm liable to give it a pass and move on.

Historical or not, I've better things to do with my time than to read someone's fictional work populated by a cast of characters who represent ONLY the lowest common denominator of the period.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote