View Single Post
Old 09-29-2018, 12:19 PM   #18
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
At one stage when I had IntelliServ disabled I got the really old (2007) spelling and grammar popup dialogue. The one where you could edit the fragment of text that was displayed in the 'error' popup - IMO that was the best one.
Yeah, an editable box does seem like it would be the best method.

Then your eyes could focus purely on that section of the screen, instead of having to jump back and forth from the right-side pane to the middle-document.

Complete Side Note: While poking around in standalone LanguageTool's options, I also found "Underline Color of Category". You're able to color code all the different types of errors shown in Post #4. That's a really nice touch!

Quote:
I say current because I'm wondering if... as they add functionality to grammar checking... they will do what Language Tools have done, make it a chargeable service - LT want $AU79 per annum for their latest and greatest... ouch.
lol, wouldn't be surprised with Microsoft trying to pull that: "But now this version IS IN THE CLOUD! Powered by AI!"

And LanguageTool charging? Eh? (I had no idea, did they do a recent site redesign?)

And with LanguageTool Plus, it looks like it:
  • Allows you to not have a 20k character limit in the online version
  • Allows you to get access to the Microsoft Word Add-in
  • You get "hundreds of extra rules" too
    • Most of those are probably hogwash (similar to complaints I hear about Grammarly's pro version).

The standalone, LibreOffice plugin, and browser plugins are still perfectly free.

Side Note: From what I could gather, LanguageTool disabled donations about a year ago + laid the groundwork for Plus. LanguageTool's donations were <€50 per month, and caused a lot more overhead in taxes + documentation which made it not worth it at all:

https://forum.languagetool.org/t/upd...guagetool/1713

Quote:
Seems to me that having or not having Intelligent Services (IS) checked makes not one scrap of difference to the current Editor Pane functionality.
Hmmmm. Now speaking of "extra rules" in LanguageTool Plus... I wonder if enabling IS in Office 365 would enable more grammar rules to be checked?

You know what would help you tell how many hits there are? A List-Based method.

Everything below this is more ranting! :P

Quote:
Over the top, I wasn't offered a choice. Basically it's a great big wrapper around regular Office 2016, which I already had. That's why it didn't download much. Its a Trial, so they're going to make it easy.
That's another thing that frustrates me: not being able to install Office wherever you want. It just auto-installs, no choice, no customization!

(Yes, I know you can go mess with all this garbage in the Registry beforehand. Absolutely absurd.)

Quote:
If I wanted to see which style is in use, I would use the context menu, viz:
Good idea, I'll have to test that next time.

I rarely ever right click on stuff. The only thing I recalled being in that menu is Cut/Paste. And I feel like you, always using the keyboard shortcuts for that.

Quote:
Oh, I discovered this morning that setting of Windows Default Programs is even worse in 1803 than it was in 1709 --- just like they did the previous bazillion times they've tampered with it. And they nuked the old one in Control Panel.
Yeah, this resetting the defaults is getting very bad now.

I don't want damn Edge to open up PDFs!

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 09-29-2018 at 12:25 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote