View Single Post
Old 07-25-2018, 08:13 PM   #72
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
When big companies collide, none of them have clean hands. Amazon used the government to do their dirty work and paid them well to do it. Most of the big tech companies are in the same boat. Call me cynical.

I have zero doubt that Apple knew that the five publishers were talking together. The only real question is was what Apple did against US law. I still think that it wasn't and that the case would have been overturned if Scallia not died. Either way, it's water under the bridge.

My personal feeling is that we would be in a better place now if the case had been dismissed and we had several seriously competing ebook stores forcing each other to be more responsive to consumers. Apple's ebook push now might have the effect of forcing Amazon to react and improve their store. We shall see.
Not a very reasonable position. You are entitled to your opinion, but we have been over this many times. Amazon made a complaint in writing pointing out a breach of the law. A very straight forward, flagrant and stupid breach, and almost a textbook price fixing conspiracy. Which is of course what the trial court found and each successive court affirmed

I understand your personal feeling, which is just that, a feeling. How would this furious competition take place if prices were fixed at the retail level? Given that the DOJ only succeeded in averting the retail price fixing rather than stopping it, and that we now have it anyway and have had now for some time, what would be materially different?
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote