View Single Post
Old 08-28-2013, 09:10 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
If the K2 board is anywhere near the KDX, K3 and later boards, it is a multilayer board and it will be a more than tough job to trace the wires... I'm not sure if there is PCI-E. I don't think so.
The K3 model does have the modem on a PCI-e card.
Check the teardown videos indexed in our "Master Index" for the other models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
The documentation of the SoC used is open, but it is - again - a tough job to re-route IO channels. As the K2 is not sold anymore and I guess there are less and less functional units in the wild, this is probably mainly to the benefit (and fun!) of the OP. So - have fun! Sounds like a nice project.
**PLUS**
The functions of the I-O pins go through a (programable) cross-bar switch.
I.E: A pin is not always dedicated (hardwired) to a specific function until the device comes up and runs the vendor's (Amazon's) code.

If you remove the parts from the board, it will be hard to tell what functions are being switched to which traces.

Note: With a very bright light you can "see" into the board to follow the buried traces, either side of any ground plane or power plane that limits the view.

Using a bright light, a decent digital camera, and an image processing program (like: Gimp) can make the buried traces "visible".
For example, see my photos of the traces to the K3 serial port connector.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote