View Single Post
Old 07-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #174
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseWriter View Post
Thank you for the quick reply, pdurrant!

The suggestion you made, to work with the epub out of indesign is an excellent one. I think that was the third thing I tried in my many attempts to fix this, but lets make sure we are talking the same thing. I created the epub export from Indesign. I then opened the Kindle Previewer and went to the section on the page labeled "Open BOOK" to preview. When I did that, the TOC was gone. My assumption is that the previewer uses the Kindle conversion tool to create the mobi. Is that what you meant?

JoseWriter
The previewer uses kindlegen, but without any compression, so it's quick. That's fine for testing, but you'll want to use KindleGen eventually.

You may well need to tweak the ePub to get it to work well as a Kindle ebook. ePubs tend not to have a table of contents as an XHTML file, so that's probably why it's missing.

If the Kindle output from InDesign is very nearly what you want, you might be better off going with that and MobiUnpack, especially if you're not very sure of how best to tweak the ePub. You WIL need to learn a little about the two main Kindle formats (Mobi and KF8) so that you can make good decisions about what to use from the KindleUnpack output as input to the Kindlegen/Previewer programmes.

Sorry I can't be more specific. I don't know what kind of Kindle output InDesign (or your version of InDesign) produces.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote