View Single Post
Old 04-06-2010, 06:43 PM   #210
Spiffy
Groupie
Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pro AND Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
There is no reason to blank the screen. The screen uses no power at all to sustain the screen display. This is an e-paper screen by E-INK it is bistable and does not need refreshes. There is no "fully on" on this device. The built in power saving shuts down the non-essential items at all times. When the user presses the next page key the computer comes alive, applies full speed and power to the hardware, gets the next data from the flash area, formats it, displays it on the screen and then shuts down waiting for you to read it. This is not your home computer or a general purpose device. It is designed to do one thing well.

Dale
I've always heard that (that e-Ink displays take no power, and that only refreshes do). I guess its just a natural skepticism that absolutely NO power use would be impossible. I guess my assumption was that it was a bit of hyperbole and that it actually DOES use a microscopic amount of power which might add up to something after several days of showing something. The scenario being someone leaving a device on for hours, days or even weeks (very possible if it just gets put down and forgotten about, left home from a vacation, etc.)

But its hardly a big deal. I mean I personally am unlikely to do that, even if it were using that tiny trickle of juice.
Spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote