View Single Post
Old 10-26-2009, 01:08 AM   #98
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
It's apparent that many people have different needs and wants for an ebook device, so there is not a single best device for everybody. I think we all acknowledge that some folks like to have a dictionary to look up words when they read, especially if English is their second (or nth) language. (Do any native English speakers really carry a dictionary around with them when they read for pleasure, and interrupt the flow of reading for lookups? I don't know anyone who does this!) And some folks like to take notes in their books. (Esp. for academic reading, I would imagine.)

Personally, I like reading general fiction and non-fiction, and usually become absorbed in a book until real life requires attention or I suddenly find myself at the last page! So, I won't be ordering a Nook (or a Kindle). Why? I value the extra battery life of the Sony Reader models, which eliminates the regular recharging hassle during regular use and when traveling. I don't want or need a cute little color lcd screen that eats up battery life, because I spend 99.x% of my time turning and reading pages, and less than 1% of my ebook time selecting the next book to read. I also don't want or need wireless to eat up more battery life. I have a blackberry with me always that serves as an adequate web browser, and a netbook with me occasionally for a full browsing experience. I actually prefer that my ebook device act like a book and doesn't tempt/hassle me with "interactive" features--it is literally my electronic book. Period.

Now, I know others have different needs and wants. Which is why I still tend to ask people what features are important to them when recommending ebook devices. Interestingly, my close family and friends, who have Readers and tend to be voracious readers, enjoy the same features I do and have no desire for the extra bells and whistles of other models (including the Sony 600). But to each their own.

The one thing I would like to see on the older Sony Readers (and the 300!) is a firmware upgrade that improves ePub handling and provides zooming for pdf files, so that they can be viewed with proper formatting.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote