View Single Post
Old 07-14-2010, 05:13 AM   #1
december
Nameless Being

Kindle inserting page breaks?

All right, I think I've spent enough time trying to figure this one out on my own; time to call in some help!

Here's my problem: I've hand-made a perfectly nice .epub file, so I know there's no junk code getting in the way. (A stripped-down version is uploaded below, so the Table of Contents is calling to a lot of chapters that I've removed due to copyright concerns, but I've preserved everything through the first chapter, which should be enough for troubleshooting.)

Calibre (version 0.7.1, if it makes a difference) seems to convert the .epub to .mobi format just fine, and when I view the .mobi version in the Calibre reader, everything looks fine -- this is the same code layout and the same conversion process I used dozens of times prior to the 2.3 Kindle update, and everything worked just fine back then.

But when I load the converted .mobi file into my Kindle, the title page text which should all be displaying on one page is instead split into two pages -- no matter how I change the font size, it always splits just after the "Falling Free" title and before the "Book 1 of the..." subtitle.

I'm having the same problem with my other books with the same code base, too, despite copy/pasting my CSS code directly from older books ported on the Kindle before the 2.3 update which had worked just fine (I haven't tried re-uploading them to see what happens in case the same bug hits them too). I would blame it on the update -- but again, this weird thing with the split remaining despite font scaling has me wondering if there might be some other reason I've missed.

Thoughts?

Last edited by december; 07-15-2010 at 09:49 AM. Reason: edited to remove the attachment after problem was solved