View Single Post
Old 12-05-2017, 09:39 PM   #5
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I suspect it's less the technology than the technologists, but our team at work is slowly being switched over to VDI from laptops/desktops. Like everything else lately, they think it'll all be magically understood by the users. "Hook it up and they will come."

I consider myself a pretty good amateur, and the team treats me like the resident geek. But I haven't switched over yet - I run tasks that crawl on VDI, so I've been able to keep my laptop so far. It's really hard to help the hapless, however, when the understand almost nothing about computers, and I've never used the platform they're now on.

The IT guys want to pretend it's "just like what you've always had", but that's not true - and not just because the cloud/virtual world acts differently than having a hard drive. We're on Office 2010 on our physical machines, but the VDI users are all on 2013, for example....and every database we have is giving them errors because we're going back and forth between the two versions of Access.

All the emails announcing the changes have NO contacts included - only the generic "button" help desk ticket option. And the only class on our training site is for a version of VDI they stopped using early this year/late last year.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote