View Single Post
Old 09-07-2009, 02:43 PM   #13
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGagne View Post
I think this narrows my choice down to 2 devices, Astak or Sony. At 300$ the Astak would cost me 325$CAD + Shipping + Duty. For that same price I can get a PRS-505 today at Future Shop or wait until Sept. 16 and get one of the new models.
Agreed that converting isn't that big a deal. Calibre makes it easy.

However, I want to make sure my earlier advice didn't mislead you. If you are looking at the $300 Astak ($259 at www.theezreader.com) then you are looking at the 6" version. IMHO, that device has nothing substantive over the Sony, and I'd probably lean towards the Sony line. The device that I like and I'd recommend is the PocketPro ($199). It is a year newer device than the other EZ Reader, and it is the one I am getting. The only reason not to prefer this one is because of its 5" screen. Your priorities may well be different, but my decision factors would be: cheaper, more portable go Ez Reader 5"; larger screen, less price sensitive go Sony.

Finally, on Sony it looks like the 600 has a really interesting feature set with touch screen and annotations. The tough issue is the screen clarity. Some feel that the touch screen makes it a bit less clear. The 505 is a year old model that has fewer features, but seems to be rock solid and quite a few folks prefer the sharpness of its screen.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote