View Single Post
Old 06-12-2011, 04:49 PM   #10
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Brief preface: the Kobo "page turn tap" seems to work really well; no swiping required. It's a knack, but you master it quickly; just as you did the funny square ring navi pad of the K3 which the first few times seemed awkward. I can easily turn pages tapping with the side of my right thumb.

It has taken four years of development and we've come to a happy place: always connected via "free" wifi; touch screen; deep libraries of books to purchase in Kindle and ePub; Pearl screen; evolution to an "ideal" form factor somewhere in the single-page quality paper book dimension; light-weight; long battery life; pretty much no brainer every day usage including purchase flow. Not bad. I expect "customer satisfaction" for today's mainstream ereaders is pretty high -- great tools and priced affordably with "all the bells and whistles" available for under $150.

Lots can still be done: better screens; colour; variations for picture books and magazines without needing to go whole hog to tablets; better on device content management; enhanced text-to-speech; enhanced notation and shared notations; much deeper social media integration; on device on the fly translation; faster processors ... lots of goodies to come.

Hopefully, in the eink end of the spectrum, the industry will keep an eye on Kobo. Their schtick has been: Simple. At first that meant small feature set but barely a year later they have dramatically enhanced the ereader and the Kobo platform without sacrificing Simple. Amazon has done a great job with Kindle 3 yet to get to some additional features is not as simple.

In short: we've got to a great place and there is almost certainly more to come. I suspect 24 months from now we'll be applauding the progress of 2012 and 2013 even in the eink end of ereaders.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote