View Single Post
Old 08-24-2010, 10:14 AM   #13
MangaEbooker
Connoisseur
MangaEbooker began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
Yep, hardware aside, that's the main reason I bought it. It turns out, for anyone with even the slightest smidgen of technical skills, it's not even worth considering as conversion to just about any other format is trivial and, if necessary, DRM removal is also possible.

So, for me, the main reason I can see that people would want the Nook over, say the new Kindle or a Sony (both of which in my opinion are technically superior products), is for the B&N in store reading experience. Honestly, why pay more for a screen that's less good than the Kindle, has more glare and reflectivity issues than a Kindle or Sony, and has shorter battery charge than either? Yes, people want memory "expandability" but really, 1 out of how many really need that? 1:100? 1:1000?

If anyone is going to do touch screen on an eReader they should look at how iRex did it - it's the perfect compromise and the most usable implementation without interfering with eInk readability.
Pluses for me of the Nook: Touch screen makes it so much better to me for turning pages, removable battery, memory slots, Softroot support for homebrew, also imo it just looks nicer. These are all things the Kindle 3 does not have, its preference.

Also the screen is Just fine, Kindles may be better but will it be a world of difference when it comes to clarity of reading, I somehow doubt it.
MangaEbooker is offline   Reply With Quote