Thread: OTG support
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
This is one of the fora I don't visit often because it flies right above my scalp. But i was hoping someone here could tell me if it is possible to get host capabilities for the USB connector on a K3.

I am thinking that by connecting an OTG to the micro USB with a regular female USB connector on the other end I might be able to connect a keyboard or Bluetooth dongle. Probably overly optimistic, but maybe there is some hack that can be applied.
According to the Freescale documentation I have read, the OTG port does not support "Auto-Sense", at least on the K3.

You should be able to use a OTG **HOST** micro USB cable and manually do the remove and install of the kernel modules required to switch from device to host operation.

Amazon does sell such an adapter - listed for the K4 and the K5, without mention of the K3.

Another note -
The power available from the Kindle's OTG port may be less (maybe much less) than what can be expected from a standard USB port - since they did not build the hardware to by used this way.

Translation: Use a powered hub to provide power to the external devices.

Let us know how you get on with this -
This subject has come up here before.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote