View Single Post
Old 10-25-2019, 07:58 PM   #29
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timboli View Post
I have been burnt a couple of times, when it comes to falsely recognized ebook limits, and it was painful to get that fixed, with a support guy telling me I needed to wipe my Kindles and start again. I refused naturally, and asked to speak to a more senior person. They of course, were able to fix it their end, and so no need to go to such drastic measures. That though, has left me feeling very lacking in trust. So great as 4G etc is, I don't want to be held up for hours maybe days, when trying to read a book.

It does bring home the benefits and peace of mind of removing DRM, so I should probably get a device dedicated to such backup files. Currently I only have original DRM versions on my Kindles.
My normal process is I buy a book or group of books, then I download it to my main computer. The original file is copied to a back up directory. I have one directory for kindle books, one for Baen books, one for Sony books and one for Apple books. I load the original file into Calibre, where the DRM is removed and I convert the book to epub if necessary. both the original ebook directory and my Calibre directory are backed up to two different drobo raid drives. The Calibre directory is also backed up to dropbox.

It all sounds a bit paranoid, but I would have lost about 20 books when Sony folded it's ebook business about transferred it's customers to Kobo. That is how many ebooks whose contract with Sony has expired and were no longer available.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote