View Single Post
Old 05-02-2008, 03:48 AM   #11
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Of course it's a derivative work!
Sorry Harry, but in this discussion I have to stand on the side of Mr. Card.
Just have a look at this marvelous quote.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Orson
Well, heck, I feel like the plot of my novel Ender's Game was stolen by J.K. Rowling.

A young kid growing up in an oppressive family situation suddenly learns that he is one of a special class of children with special abilities, who are to be educated in a remote training facility where student life is dominated by an intense game played by teams flying in midair, at which this kid turns out to be exceptionally talented and a natural leader. He trains other kids in unauthorized extra sessions, which enrages his enemies, who attack him with the intention of killing him; but he is protected by his loyal, brilliant friends and gains strength from the love of some of his family members. He is given special guidance by an older man of legendary accomplishments who previously kept the enemy at bay. He goes on to become the crucial figure in a struggle against an unseen enemy who threatens the whole world.
BRAVO Mr. Card. BRAVISSIMO.
Touche!!!

You know Harry, Mrs. Rowling was not *that* original in her work. I very much hope she is sued repeatedly for "plagiatorizm", "stealing of ideas", "copyright infringement", and "Intelectual Property Rights Violation" by anyone and everyone that described a wizard in a pointy hat, or a witch flying on the broom, or a magician wielding a magic wand in his/her books. And I very much hope that heirs of Mr. Rudyard Kipling for setting her story in a British public school.

You see, I am against authors being deprived of their hard earned income, and the Harry Potter Lexicon seems to be bordering that (or perhaps even crossing the border), yet I feel that Mrs. Rowling *is* being a hypocrite here.
It is very much like Disney taking public domain fairy tale - Cinderella and making a cartoon and then suing aggressively anyone that dares to mention the Cinderella character or use a generic drawing of the young lady in a long white dress.

Besides, If I could choose a between a new book from Mr. Card and a new book from Mrs. Rowling, Mr. Card would win hands down. ;-)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote