View Single Post
Old 08-05-2013, 06:52 PM   #43
witchkitten
Enthusiast
witchkitten is a glorious beacon of lightwitchkitten is a glorious beacon of lightwitchkitten is a glorious beacon of lightwitchkitten is a glorious beacon of lightwitchkitten is a glorious beacon of lightwitchkitten is a glorious beacon of lightwitchkitten is a glorious beacon of lightwitchkitten is a glorious beacon of lightwitchkitten is a glorious beacon of lightwitchkitten is a glorious beacon of lightwitchkitten is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Reasons I chose the Nook of the Kindle:

1) Physical page turning buttons.
2) Epub support. I dislike the mobi/azw format, particularly because of the way it handles the TOC. Also, I like having more options for where to by ebooks. While I could strip the DRM and convert epubs to mobi, I'd rather not have to take that step and risk formatting issues that might arise from the conversion. And finally, libraries tend to have a greater selection of epub books than kindle books. While most books are available for both I do find books that are only offered as an epub.
3) Page numbers. While I prefer dynamic page numbers, the Nook's static ones are better than nothing. Page numbers allow me to easily see how long a chapter is.
4) The rubberized contoured back makes the Nook so much more comfortable to hold than the Kindle Touch (unless it's been changed since the Kindle Touch first came out).
5) I like the font choices better on the Nook. There were a lot more of them when I purchased my Nook, though this may have changed in the last year and a half.
6) I think the UI is much more intuitive. It's more similar to the iOS UI, which I was already familiar with when I purchased my Nook. Also, I like that most of the menus were at the bottom which is easier to reach and navigate to than having to go to the top of the screen with the Kindle.

That said, Amazon has far better customer service in my experience. The Nook tech support people are awful.

When the Nook is working as it should, it's overall my favorite ereader, however, I've had some technical problems that are leading me to consider one of the Kobo ereaders. I still wouldn't switch to the Kindle, though. Even one that is functioning perfectly doesn't fit my needs as well as my buggy Nook.
witchkitten is offline   Reply With Quote