View Single Post
Old 03-06-2012, 11:18 PM   #117
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cscat View Post
Hi and thanks for all the kind words. Oh and welcome to the family of MR.
I'm so glad you got your Kindle back. We all owe geekmaster and he has saved us multiple hundreds of bucks! So give karma to him for his Awesomeness!
The gitbrew forensic image is 5.0.0.

Too many books can brick a kindle 4 (mini) or 5 (touch) because the collections database is stored on /var/local (mmcblk0p3) which is only 30MB and the system bricks if it is full. One (good) solution is to copy the collections db to /mnt/mmc and replace the one in /var/local with a symlink pointing at the copy on /mnt/mmc. The system will then use the copy on the (much larger than 30MB) USB drive and STOP filling the tiny /var/local partition. There is info about the collections database file name and its location in various forum posts, but I am too tired right now or I would look it up for you. Anybody here care to post its name and location?

And perhaps somebody can write a RUNME.sh to copy and symlink the collections database would be nice too, but be careful to check for one already on /mnt/us. You do not want to kill it by copying a symlink on top of it if somebody runs this more than once. Better to check that you are copying a file and not a symlink, and not to overwrite an existing file. In other words, just be careful so you do not trash a collections database. Thanks...

And for people comfortable with SSH and linux commands, there is an even easier way to repair a bricked kindle touch (or k4nt): https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170929

Yeah, my karma has been stuck around a half million for far too long -- how long until you folks can double it to a million karma points?

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-06-2012 at 11:32 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote