View Single Post
Old 05-17-2010, 11:52 PM   #37
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmikov View Post
I am pretty sure I put "Not" in front of "for poor writers", I think anybody should have an opportunity to earn from his work, of course they should. I find the word right is putting it too strongly for a majority of DRM discussions I witnessed here.
I also disagree, that "DRM and the rest are only tangentially related", the publishers tell you otherwise, many authors insist otherwise or want you to believe anyway. Currently the publishers greed, drm and authors income tied so tight, that it takes a major effort from the author to separate itself from this tangle and I cheer these authors that do so from the bottom of my heart.
The point people trying to make is that there was (for thousands of years) other ways for creative people to make living from creative work.
Sorry you missed the point of my post and the post I replied to.
Sounds like I did miss the point of your post and for that I apologise.

However, I don't see why a distinction should be made between "poor hobby writers" and successful writers when it comes to having a right to earn money from their efforts.

The word right in the context of this discussion does not mean that anyone who wants to make a living from writing should simply be paid to do so. It means that if someone wants to charge for their work and attempt to earn a living that way then they have the right to do that.

Cheers,
PKFFW
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote