View Single Post
Old 05-17-2010, 10:39 PM   #33
dmikov
Addict
dmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-books

Device: REB1200; REB2150; Sony 500/350; EZReader; IREX DR800SG; Nook/Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKFFW View Post
Talk of DRM, copyright length and all the rest is really only tangentially related to the right or otherwise of an author to make a living from their work.

<snip>
Especially when you add "I'm all for poor or hobby writers". It makes it sound like you simply don't think someone should be able to earn a living doing something they love and is "easy"(labour wise) when you have to go out and earn a living doing a "real job".(so to speak)

Cheers,
PKFFW
I am pretty sure I put "Not" in front of "for poor writers", I think anybody should have an opportunity to earn from his work, of course they should. I find the word right is putting it too strongly for a majority of DRM discussions I witnessed here.
I also disagree, that "DRM and the rest are only tangentially related", the publishers tell you otherwise, many authors insist otherwise or want you to believe anyway. Currently the publishers greed, drm and authors income tied so tight, that it takes a major effort from the author to separate itself from this tangle and I cheer these authors that do so from the bottom of my heart.
The point people trying to make is that there was (for thousands of years) other ways for creative people to make living from creative work.
Sorry you missed the point of my post and the post I replied to.
dmikov is offline   Reply With Quote