View Single Post
Old 09-20-2018, 05:36 PM   #41
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
My Mars arrived this afternoon.

Some quick impressions: superior hardware, but the firmware needs a little more fine tuning, mainly with the ghosting in some apps, as others have mentioned. Mainly in apps that are not designed with eInk use in mind.

I recommend either KOReader, Librera, or AlReader. KOReader has its own refresh settings. No ghosting or artifacts. Didn't notice ghosting in Librera. Haven't tried AlReader yet. Moon used to be my go-to reader app, but I now prefer any of the above three - with a slight overall preference for KO.

If you long press a book in Calibre Companion, a pop-up window will ask you which reader you want to open the book with, and if you want that reader app to be the default one for that eBook format.

A2 mode is definitely the way to go if reading on third-party apps that are not designed with eInk in mind. It matters less if you use an eInk-friendly app.

I like the ability to change from 'normal' to 'soft' light. The 'soft' is like the Nook Glowlight 3, which I like very much.

I have side loaded the apps I want to use, so having Google Play, etc., isn't a big deal for me. It simply makes updating apps easier if Play Store is there. Then again, there's always the Amazon app store...

I may do a fuller review later, but this will do for now!

PS: For you landscape lovers, Librera does landscape within the app! Or, try Rotation Control (root not needed).

Last edited by downeaster59; 09-20-2018 at 05:49 PM.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote