View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 10:13 PM   #121
benqtitle
benqtitle began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by guma View Post
all menu and library related operations in 2.1.4. are generally much more responsive compared to older versions. 2.1.4. also seems to be afffected by less blatant bugs (it's far from bug-free though). The font fine-tuning is a nice feature too.

On the other hand, when upgrading from 1.9.17, you might be annoyed by the new home screen layout which has quite a bit of very visible store related stuff and the (forced) hyphenation leads to very ugly results in some languages (this can be fixed though by manually editing the update files).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
+ fonts fine tuning for preloaded fonts (weight and sharpness), not available for sideloaded fonts
+ shelves (2.1.4 adds the possibility to add a book from the books menu)
+ improved dictionary usability (translation/definition by tapping on a word for about 2 seconds)
+ 2.1.4 lets you decide which of the dictionaries you want to have installed
+ you can mark more than one word now and look it up (though I don't know if there are any translations/definitions in English - could be useful for Japanese, though)
+ hyphenation
+ view details lets you read the books description from the meta data (if there is one, of course) and also lets you rate your books (I think that's new, too, the rating...)
+ support for Japanese (interface, keyboard, dictionary, 2 new fonts for Japanese)

~ wishlist (which is rather useless to me since I can only add books recommended to me)
~ find books similar to those you are reading
~ new homescreen design with Read and Discover tabs (don't know how to feel about it, since the favorites are gone from the homepage as well, but now there's a large tap displaying your wishlist on the bottom)

- hearts to mark favorites are gone (2.1.4, you can still add books to favorites using the shelves menu, but I still think that was a bad decision to remove them)
- you can't select cover display seperately for sleep and power off anymore (2.1.4)
- chapter progress bar is gone (2.1.4)
- the ability to open the highlight menu introduced in 2.0.0 is gone in 2.1.4
- several fonts are completely gone (Delima, Felbridge, Times New Roman). You can add them manually, but...
- sideloaded fonts don't look very good anymore (too thin, no finetuning possible)

That and possibly some minor changes that I can't recall at the moment. Plus a few bugs, as usual... (See the other 2.1.4 thread...)

I hope they will reverse some of the "minus changes" in a future version and bring back the hearts and chapter progress bar at least...
Thanks guys, it looks promising and worth a try. I already have a backup of 1.9.17 and hope I won't need it this time.
benqtitle is offline   Reply With Quote