View Single Post
Old 08-06-2018, 12:56 AM   #13
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad Plante View Post
My understanding is that just circumventing the copy protection system itself is a violation of the law, even if it is fair use.

I can understand why Hitch is "exceeding careful" in situations like these.
Ah yes, that is true. My understanding of the DMCA is that a company can only invoke it if it protected a coyrighted work. In the case of this thread it sounds like to me that Hitch found a way to purchase the book (probably from an seller oversees) after the author got the rights back. The DMCA should be no longer applicable to a now technically pirated book, thus the circumvention of DRM is no longer a criminal offence.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote