View Single Post
Old 08-05-2018, 03:13 PM   #11
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Doesn't matter, as the original publisher no longer has the rights.

It is worded like this:
  • Copyright by [author's name]
  • copying, storing, yada yada, only with express written permission by publisher.
Now the second point is important. And they cleverly do not not name themselves by name. When I look it always says "publisher." The store you bought the ebook from would wisely not complain about circumventing their DRM, as they sold an ebook they no longer could sell legally (since the old publisher no longer holds the distribution rights). The written permission should be obtainable by the author that got the rights back, and is for all intents and purposes the publisher.
Indeed. But...well. You know, I'm in the biz. I have to be exceedingly careful. I normally would never even whisper about stuff like this, but I could not find the client's books. Without the help I got here, I doubt I would have. Hooray, MR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
If I recall correctly Walter Jon Williams used his pirated ebooks once he got the rights back to release his back list.
I believe that's exactly right.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote