View Single Post
Old 03-03-2013, 06:28 PM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Writing on my new Chromebook I realised that I needed an outliner, as Google Docs doesn't have one built in, so I took a look for a web-based solution.

I stumbled across Workflowy, which is, well... lovely. It works exactly as you'd expect, but you can focus in on one part of the outline - which is great for creative writing. Transitions are fluid, soothing. There's a zen-like quality to the way you move in and out of your work.

If you're comfortable doing your outlining in a browser and having it stored in the cloud, take a look. You can copy and paste it easily to a local file, of course.

It's free to add up to 500 items to your outlines each month, and you can either pay for a pro account for unlimited access, or you can introduce others, Dropbox style, to increase your allowance.

For example, if you sign up through the following link, we both get another 250 items per month.

https://workflowy.com/?ref=10ceff5e

I think this is better than using MS Word's outliner, and would be a good way to do the initial brainstorming before laying out a storyboard in, say, Scrivener.

Are there any other tools people are using, particularly those which would work from the Cloud for my Chromebook? The main downside to Workflowy is that there's no offline mode, though this is coming soon, apparently, for Pro users.

Graham
Hey, Graham:

I viewed the video, but, what's different about it than Word's Outlining feature? Everything I saw (in the video only) looks almost exactly like Word's outlining. Can you elucidate, please? I mean, in terms of actual features/mechanics?

ETA: Shrug. I tried it, and basically, it's 95% similar to Word's outlining feature, although all the javascript (I suspect) makes it look really cool. Functionally, though, at the end of the day, it's just an outliner that allows tagging, which seems to be the big deal. Given that you can do almost the identical thing in OneNote, (tagging), I'm not seeing the overall improvement over just using either Word or OneNote (or, for the more visually-oriented, FreeMind or one of the other mind-map programs). Just my $.02, though. Seems okay; I just don't see a really big improvement over other apps/programs. If you're the type of person who loves tagging, I can see how that might be useful for you.

Thanks!

Hitch

Last edited by Hitch; 03-04-2013 at 04:17 AM. Reason: Tried it.
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote