View Single Post
Old 10-08-2010, 01:45 PM   #15
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakIris View Post
This eBook thing is a bit more complicated than I expected. ………………
(Well, one can always hope that there is positive response from the corporate folks "in charge." ……………

This is what I am getting from all of you knowledgeable folks:

1) If the eBook has DRM, best thing to do is download the Kindle-specific file
2) If DRM-free, try the Kindle/.mobi version first and if it looks like
crap, try the next step:
3) If DRM-free, download book in HTML or ePub version and convert it
with Calibre, Sigil, MobiPocket creator or similar program for a chance at
better formatting.

From this I am assuming that if you buy an eBook and the format of the file you download is very poor/unreadable, you can actually download another version from the same site without paying for it again, is this correct, or does it depend upon the site? (Perhaps I should stick to free books until I know what I am doing!)
Hi OakIris; don't you worry. It looks more complicated than it is: remember there are thousands of people ereading and they all had to start somewhere.
If you can handle the AmazonKindle apps for PC, you've already made a good start.
And Amazon.com has a very good customerservice; if you think your ebook is badly formatted (like things in it missing etc), they'll try to help. You can get them to phone you.

Formats for the Kindle: Kindleformat = protected mobi from Amazon.com. Kindle also handles unprotected mobi g.e from Feedbooks.com etc.
Kindle also reads PDF, but I read some PDF-files on the Kindle and wasn't impressed by their quality, so now I convert them in Calibre.

Free books
To download free books: look what format it is; on the bookdownloadlink or somewhere on the page; in doubt email them.
On Mobile Read (Sticky's) there's lots and lots of excellent formatted free mobi-books+ free advice how to download them, to be had.
On Amazon.com are free books as well for your Kindle; you can download and try them out now on your Kindle for PC. When you've got your Kindle you synchronize it. Only books bought at Amazon.com can be synchronized.

Buy books
Go to Amazon.com for Kindlebooks
Other webshops: look for unprotected mobi (without drm), epub……..or whatever, but it has to have --no DRM-. Convert it in Calibre to the format Kindle can read= mobi.

Organising your library and converting books (without DRM) to mobi, Kindle-readable format : check out the free program Calibre at http://calibre-ebook.com/ ; take the tour and try the different functions.
It is a very friendly, easy program that loads the books you didn't buy at Amazon, on your Kindle. You'll like it.

Don't go stripping DRM as yet; there's plenty of free books to be had. I never got the hang of it; didn't have the patience.

And best of all; have fun.

Last edited by desertblues; 10-08-2010 at 03:23 PM.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote