View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013, 11:18 PM   #105
Thalinor
@Modders/Devs - Thank You
Thalinor is on a distinguished road

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro / Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoguen View Post
There still seems to be issues around setting the kobo spans properly. If you rename a book file from your device to have a .zip extension, you can open it as a ZIP file. If you see a kobo.js file, the reference.kepub.epub file was properly referenced and you've found a book that still has issues with the Kobo spans not being set properly. I'm working on that.
Got it, thank you. I just checked and that book I got directly from the on device bookstore, was in fact a kepub. It did not have a file extension, but when renaming it to zip, I can see the js file you are talking about /js/kobo.js

Edit: Ok I figure epub's are just container formats (like mp4) which is why the .zip trick worked and files were inside; I just checked all the books that were copied to the Glo via Calibre and the plugin, they all have a "kobo.js" while the originals on my HD do not have that file inside. I assume that's the file the plugin added renaming the one in the reference file "kobo-android.js" to just "kobo.js". If that's the case, the plugin is working correctly and its not something with that "virtual" kepub I used. Does that all sound correct?

If so...

For reference, people who are looking for a kepub DRM free, use the on device Kobo bookstore to search for "The Watchers" by Lynnie Purcell, it will say download; not buy. Once you download it plug the Glo into a computer and navigate to \.kobo\kepub or \koboExtStorage\kepub look for the file w/o an extension [even with the setting unchecked to hide known file extensions] and copy it to the desktop. You can try to rename it to Test.epub and verify it opens as an epub as well as rename it to Test.zip and check for the kobo-.js file inside. This file can be used as reference.kepub.epub, even though Calibre will not import it off the device directly. This may help anyone looking for a Free, DRM-Free, kepub to use in the plugins folder.

I originally used "The Idiot" by Fyodor Dostoyevsky, but the .js file said kobo-android.js where the other book above only says kobo.js which is exactly what this plugin seems to be using as its naming convention. While it worked with "The Idiot" by Fyodor Dostoyevsky, I noticed the kobo-android.js file was larger, and figured it had formatting for android based readers.

Last edited by Thalinor; 05-10-2013 at 12:55 AM.
Thalinor is offline   Reply With Quote